Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jamie Lee Scott Mystery Writer Dinner Conversation




Hello Jamie, and welcome. So, the life of a mystery writer’s dinner conversation is coming up next on the agenda, thanks to Jamie. Honestly, I never thought about it before today. Before Jamie fills us in on the details, here’s a bit about her:

Before Jamie finished her first full length novel, she was contracted to write the book, Hiking Iowa for Falcon publishing. In a year, she hiked 75 trails in the state of Iowa and mapped the trails, landmarks and distances. And this was before GPS. It was tough work for the measly advance, but it was a writing credit. 

So now, Jamie writes the mystery series featuring the Gotcha Detective Agency.

Jamie has written three novels, Let Us Prey, the soon to be released Death of a Sales Rep, and Give a Dog a Bone. She is currently writing screenplays. She is co-founder of Scriptchat on Twitter www.scriptchat.com & TWWriterChat www.tvwriterchat.com, and is the former president of RWA’s screenwriting chapter, Script Scene.

Okay, Jamie…it’s all yours…



DINNER CONVERSATION

Whether it’s a family function, or dinner with friends, once someone realizes I’m an author who writes mysteries, the conversation always turns to murder. Not just murder, but how to get away with it.

I find this strange, since the bad guys in my novels always get caught. I mean if they get caught, how would I know how to kill someone and get away with it? Oh, but the thing is, I do.

Long before I ever sat at the computer to write my own prose, I was a reader, and a voracious one at that. My genre of choice was mysteries, romantic suspense, and thrillers. I was ecstatic when I realized there were conferences you could attend and meet mystery authors and learn about writing. So I promptly booked my ticket and went to a Bouchercon Convention.

Knowing, someday I’d write a novel, I attended the workshops for writers. One of the workshops I attended had a pharmacist as the guest speaker. She offered up tidbits I still use in conversations. Like the fact that overdosing on aspirin will only get your stomach pumped, or at the very least give you a crappy stomach ache. If you really wanted to kill someone, use Tylenol. I won’t go into the specifics, but suffice it to say, that one is in my bag of tricks for a future novel.

Then there are the things we never think of, like mercury. We put those poisonous sticks of glass in our mouths to check our temperature, before anyone knew any better. Well, mercury is a slow and painful death. The pharmacist offered up a method of killing with mercury poisoning. Again, no specifics because I don’t want to be liable for aiding and abetting, this method includes one of those old thermometers, a light bulb with a divot, and someone who burns the midnight oil. Mercury vapor is also deadly. Just sayin’.

My dinner companions usually have a few ideas of their own, and once in a while I find one creative enough to jot down the details. Oh, the life of a mystery author.






Click Cover For Buy Link


Let Us Prey 


Book 1, Gotcha Detective Agency Mysteries

By Jamie Lee Scott



Mimi Capurro has been hired to protect New York Times bestselling author, Lauren Silke, who was recently assaulted in the bathroom at a paranormal conference. Though Mimi is hired to act as bodyguard for Lauren’s upcoming book tour, plans change when Lauren's assistant is murdered and the slaying is a replica of a scene from Lauren’s newest novel. A novel that hit bookstores the same day as the killing.



Now instead of playing bodyguard, Mimi is cracking computer code, and chasing down vampires. These vampires come alive on the streets of Santa Cruz, as part of a live-role-playing game. Mimi must find the connection between the vampires and the author to track down the killer. This would be much easier if Detective Nick Christianson wanted her investigating the case.

Nick, Mimi’s old college fling, is the lead homicide investigator. 


Though he wants her off the case, he also wants to pump her for information. Nick may have used her in the past, but this time she’ll use him to try to catch the murderer first.




  

Jamie – Thank you for sharing conversations at dinner time with us. Interesting talk while eating *smile* Congratulations on your newest release, Let Us Prey. I wish you many more successes with your upcoming releases.

Thank you everyone for stopping by and visiting with Jamie. Check out her books and sites. Also, check out Bewitching Book Tours for upcoming book tours.


Until Next Time,

Kay Dee


Announcing Ravencraft’s Romance Realm’s “First Love” 7-Day Valentine’s Blog Fest!!!

Lots of PRIZES!! February 8th – 14th  

Find Details Here:



3 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Good Morning and welcome, Jamie. I still can't believe the sort of 'stuff' people would discuss with you over dinner. Geesh.

But, honestly, I could see me right there figuring out different ways to murder...who does that?

Murder mystery writers and their fans...count me as a fan...definitely.

Great title for your story, btw.

Thanks for hanging out today, Jamie.

Jamie Lee Scott said...

Thanks so much for having me as your guest today. I haven't had web access all day and I'm just now getting to check in. It it's amazing what subjects come up over dinner.

Kay Dee Royal said...

It's been pretty quiet around here as far as comments...but I'm sure there's been a number of viewers reading over your dinner conversations.

There's a lot of mystery readers out there. *smile*

I think it's about time to break out something a little stronger to drink...Sangria & fruit, a beer, or a mixed cocktail?

It's been a long day...and I still need more hours. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...