Monday, March 26, 2012

Katee Robert ~ I have a nasty habit of falling in love with side characters...




Welcome Katee, Sci-Fi romance author of The High Priestess and Queen of Swords ~ Sanctify series. Thank you for stopping by with this awesome guest post *smile*…I’ll get out of your way so you can take it away…


I have the nasty habit of falling in love with side characters while reading.  In…every single book.


It never fails. In the Song of Fire and Ice books, it is the Hound and I will never forgive GRRM for what happened to him. NEVAH. With Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series, it’s Nix. I am still waiting (and hoping) for her time in the spotlight. In KMM’s Fever series is was Ryodan (and…more than a few others). The list goes on and on.
 

The same applies to writing. For The High Priestess it was remarkably unexpected since I’d expected to despise all of the hero’s friends. But Fisk appeared and did the equivalent of giving me a wink and a nudge. The man always has a ready grin, but he’s got an inner torment I just want to open up and soothe.
 

In Queen of Swords there were two characters—both polar opposites. The first was Cole, who is a Beshmaiite (basically like a human-sized cat-type person). He’s the hero’s co-pilot and I just want to pet him. The second was Jenny, the hero’s little sister. She popped onto the page with such force and vitality that she ended up as the leading lady in the next book. I mean, who can resist a fast talking woman with questionable morals who has no problem murdering her way through a pack of the universe’s most feared warrior to save someone she cares about? I sure as hell can’t.
 

We, uh, yeah…we don’t have to talk about my borderline obsession with villains, either.


What about you? Do you have a deep and abiding love for side characters? Or are you all about the main protagonists?





Click Cover for Buy Link


The High Priestess (Sanctify, #1) Prequel Novella


Author: Katee Robert

Genre: Sci-Fi Romance

Length: novella




A Sanctify Novella - Book One - Katee Robert


Marianna Zain is in trouble. The handsome stranger she just kissed? He’s a member of the most terrifying hate-group in the universe. Even after he takes her captive, Marianna can’t shake her initial instincts that he’s a man of worth…and her only chance at escaping death.


One of Sanctify’s most decorated lieutenants, Gerald Leoni thought he had everything figured out. But then he crosses paths with a Diviner, the most despised of the alien races, and is honor-bound to bring her in. One night with Marianna makes him question everything he knows.


As the day of her scheduled execution draws near, Marianna forms a plan. She’s going to seduce Gerald—a task that would be simpler if she weren’t being seduced as well. But Sanctify doesn’t take kindly to their people cavorting with aliens, and instead of finding a savior, Marianna may be dragging Gerald to his death alongside her…



Click Cover for Buy Link


Queen of Swords (Sanctify, #2)


Author: Katee Robert

Genre: Sci-Fi Romance




A Sanctify Novel - Book Two - Katee Robert

When the cards tell Ophelia Leoni she’s supposed to marry the Prince of Hansarda, the gunrunner grits her teeth and boards the starship that comes for her. It doesn’t matter if the ship’s commander is the gorgeous stranger she just spent a wild, drunken night with. As a Diviner, she’s painfully aware the cards don’t lie. Ever.

Boone O’Keirna knows Ophelia is trouble the second he sees the way she moves. Not about to let the deadly little hellcat marry his sadistic half-brother, Boone pretends to be the Prince’s emissary and kidnaps Ophelia. Too bad they can’t be in the same room without him wanting to throw her out an airlock–or into bed.


Even as they fight each other–and their explosive attraction–Ophelia and Boone sense something is wrong. Too much is going their way. Soon, they realize while the cards may never lie, the truth is sometimes hidden between them…and the future king of Hansarda is not one to take defeat lying down.



About Katee:
 

Katee Robert learned to tell stories at her grandpa’s knee. Her favorites then were the rather epic adventures of The Three Bears, but at age twelve she discovered romance novels and never looked back. Now

living in Eastern Washington, she spends her time—in between ogling men’s goodies and planning for the inevitable zombie apocalypse—writing speculative romance novels.








Katee, great post! Thank you for making my place one of your Bewitching Book Tours stops. Congratulations on your Sanctify series. Wishing you many, many more successes.



Thank you everyone for stopping by and visiting with Katee.





Until Next Time…Warm Hearts & Hugs,

Kay Dee

Please consider joining the Muse It Hot Readers Group - you'll find many of your favorite erotic romance authors there waiting to hear from you and talk with you. To join go here and sign up: http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseitHOT/



Also check out Ravencraft’s Romance Realm – lots of hot topics and creative romance authors: http://ravencraftrealm.blogspot.com




11 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Katee, welcome! I brewed up coffee or tea, whichever you'd like. Today is an Early Grey morning for me.

About side characters...I have a way of including them, introducing them as a strong second to the heroine and they play a leading role in their own right.

You must do that as well and because of that, notice them and appreciate them in other stories.

Their parts are integral for some aspect of the hero or heroine, giving them greater depth by their inclusion.

Yeah, I'm with you, Katee...I love them, too. *smile* Excellent post, btw.

Rachel Harris said...

Ha, I love my side characters, too. I always end up falling for a minor character and crossing my fingers they get their own book... and in my writing, I am now writing a sequel for one of mine for a side character who wouldn't let go of my heart, and would love to explore others in the future. I just get sooo invested :)

Great post!! <3

Caridad Pineiro said...

I often fall in love with my side characters and have to beat them down for the moment. I also love giving them their own story eventually! LOL!

Jenna said...

I remember liking Ian McNabb in J.D.Robb's In Death series a lot. Of course, I appreciated Roarke, as well... And I fell for Ranger in Stephanie Plum book 1; long before Janet Evanovich had any thoughts of making him part of a love triangle. I often fall in love my own secondary characters too, but then I expect to, since I usually have plans for them.

Fun blog, Katee!

Tara Fuller said...

I'm a sucker for side characters too. :) And I LOVE Nix in Immortals After Dark! If she doesn't get her own book I'll be upset.

Nina Croft said...

I think if you're reading or writing a series then it's a great thing to fall in love with the side-characters - I always make a point of it.
Can't wait for Jenny's story - she was definitely a side character in need of her own book!

Leah Rae Miller said...

I totally agree. Whatever I write, there's always one or two stand out side characters that I fall in love with. Same with reading! Great post, Katee!

Rita Oberlies said...

As a reader and as a writer I adore side characters, especially those that get their own story. Great post!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Absolutely! Side characters are essential for making a story rich and real, and therefore they're often even easier to love than the main characters! :)

Many a series has sprung without intent because of this. LOL

Melinda B. Pierce said...

I've fallen in love with all of KMMs side characters too, always hoping for some spin offs. :-)

Melinda

Taryn Elliott said...

I swear, the bane of my existence is supporting characters. They're constantly screaming for their own stories.

I love that you fall for villains. I've been doing it since I saw my first Alan Rickman movie. LOL He steals the show every single time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...